Your search results

Documents for Australian Citizens to Get Married in Puglia

Wedding in of Italy Australian Citizens

Australian citizens getting married in Italy with a legally valid wedding should prepare some documentation in Australia before leaving and in Italy upon arrival. Please be aware that government representatives cannot perform marriage ceremonies and you cannot get married at an Australian Embassy or Consulate.


Before leaving Australia, you should obtain one of the two documents below:

  • Either an ATTO NOTORIO one per spouse (sworn declaration) from the Italian Embassy or Consulate in the state in which you reside. Not all the Italian Consulates accept to release an Atto Notorio, as it can be replaced by a certificate of no impediment (see bullet 2). To obtain the Atto Notorio, you should make an appointment with the Italian Consulate and attend the meeting with two witnesses. You will be asked to bring some documents such as birth certificates and evidences of previous wedding termination. However this depends on the consular officer. Inquire them before. If you reside OUTSIDE Australia, you can obtain this Atto Notorio at any other Italian Consulate in the world or, in case you plan to be in Italy much ahead the date of the wedding – you can obtain this in the local Italian Court or at the local Registrar (bringing apostilled documents such as Birth certificate in the long form and termination of any previous weddings and being there with two witnesses).
  • Or a Certificate of NO IMPEDIMENT (one per spouse). This certificate is much easier to obtain. You simply have to meet your local Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade. After you obtain this Certificate of No Impediment you must have it legalized at the same office by mean of an Apostille. This certificate will have to be sent to your local wedding Planner in Italy for the formal legalized translation.
  • Please note that all certificates including divorce certificates or death certificates certifying termination of your previous marriage MUST be ORIGINALS. Photocopies are not accepted.


  • In addition to the Atto Notorio or Certificate of No Impediment, an Australian citizen intending to get married in Italy will need to make a Sworn Declaration (Nulla Osta).

How to obtain a Nulla Osta in Italy:

You must plan to be in Italy (Rome or Milan) at least 4 working days prior the wedding to meet the Australian Consular officer and sign this Sworn Declaration in his/her presence. Impression Villas & Weddings will make an appointment for you and assist you on site.

This Nulla Osta additionally states that “there are no impediments,” and that one is free to marry. The Nulla Osta (Sworn Declaration) is valid for six months and costs the Euro equivalent of A$50.00 per Australian citizen. Please note that payments can only be made in cash as credit card services are not available at the Australian Embassy. Make sure you write your all data exactly as spelled in the passport and Certificate of No Impediment of Atto Notorio you prepared in Australia. The Nulla Osta must then be legalised by the Ufficio Legalizzazioni of the competent Prefettura adding one “marca da bollo” in the amount of 16,00€ for each Nulla Osta. Efffetti wedding planners will handle this on your behalf.

The Australian Embassy in Rome, is in Via Antonio Bosio 5, Tel:06/85272299,
The Australian Consulate-General in Milan is in via Borgogna 2 Tel: +390277704217 open Monday to Thursday from 9.00 to 17.00 and Friday from 9.00 to 16.00). No delegate possibilities.

Please note that a divorced woman who wants to marry again within 300 days of the date of her divorce must contact the local Italian authorities and seek special permission from an Italian magistrate. Otherwise, she must allow the required period of 300 days to elapse. If you are widowed, you must bring the death certificate of your previous spouse. Certificates can be obtained from the Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages.


Once you have all the documents your wedding planner will bring them to the local Town Hall who you will meet 2 days prior the wedding together with an interpreter to swear that you understand some articles of the Italian Civil Code and that abiding by them you can get married in Italy.

Many Town Halls in Italy are very nice and antique buildings of the middle-ages, some also have outdoors spaces where you will eb able to celebrate you wedding. Most of the town halls levy fees for weddings of non resident, and the fee varies depending on the town hall, the day/time of the wedding and in some case your nationality. The wedding ceremony will be then celebrated on the planned day with an Interpreter and a Marriage Certificate will be released immediately after. To be used a marriage certificate has to be legalized at the local Prefettura. Efffetti wedding planners will manage this further legalization and send you the certificate via post immediately as this will be ready.


The above information is provided by the Consular Section of the Australian Embassy in Rome for the convenience of enquirers, but neither the Australian Government nor the Embassy nor Impression Villas & Weddings can take any responsibility whatsoever in regard to the consequences of using the above information.